My lab focuses on the roles that human and animal microbiome play in health and different diseases. We use interdisciplinary approaches such as multi-omics (e.g. metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, metabolomics), bioinformatics, statistics, big data and mixed culture to, for example:
- Characterize and engineer gastrointestinal microbiome to promote human healthy aging, increase animal nutrient utilization and efficiency, production and well-being;
- Identify and apply prebiotics and probiotics to increase human and animal health and reduce antibiotics use;
- Study the ecology and evolution of human and animal microbiome;
- Identify airway microbiome biomarkers in human and animal respiratory diseases such as cystic fibrosis, COPD and Bovine Respiratory Disease for early and targeted therapy.
Postdoctoral Fellow –University of Michigan, Pediatrics and communicable disease
Ph.D. -University of Wisconsin-Madison, Environmental Microbiology
Graduate Certificate –University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bioinformatics
M.S. China Agricultural University, Plant Pathology
B.S. China Agricultural University, Plant Protection
- Kong F, Hua Y, Zeng B, Ning R, Li Y* and Zhao J*. (2016) Gut microbiota signatures of longevity. Current Biology, 26: R832-R833.
- Widder S*, Qinn R, Whiteson K, Lim YW, Zhao J, Conrad D, LiPuma J and Rohwer F. (2016) Ecological networking of cystic fibrosis lung infections. npj Biofilms and Microbiomes (2016)2:4.
- Chen S*, Zhao J, Joshi D, Xi Z, Norman B and Walker E. (2016) Persistent infection by Wolbachia wAlbB has no effect on composition of the gut microbiota in adult female Anopheles stephensi. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7:1485.
- Mandal R, Jiang T, Al-Rubaye A, Rhoads D, Wideman R, Zhao J, Pevzner I and Kwon YM*. (2016) An investigation into blood microbiota and its potential association with bacterial chondronecrosis with osteomyelitis (BCO) in broilers. Scientific Reports, 6:25882.
- Caverly LJ, Zhao J and LiPuma JJ*. (2015) Cystic Fibrosis lung microbiome: Opportunities to reconsider management of airway infection. Pediatric Pulmonology, 50: S31-S38.
- Li Y*, Guo W, Han S, Kong F, Wang C, Li D, Zhang H, Yang M, Xu H, Zeng B and Zhao J*. (2015) The evolution of the gut microbiota in the giant and the red pandas. Scientific Reports, 5:10185.
- Zeng B, Han S, Wang P, Wen B, Jian W, Guo W, Yu Z, Du D, F X, Kong F, Yang M, Si X, Zhao J* and Li Y*. (2015) The bacterial communities associated with fecal types and body weight of rex rabbits. Scientific Reports, 5:9342.
- Zhao J, Evans CR, Carmody LA, and LiPuma JJ. (2015) Impact of storage conditions on metabolite profiles of sputum samples from persons with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis, 14:468-473.
- Carmody LA, Zhao J, Kalikin LM, LeBar W, Simon RH, Venkataraman A, Schloss PD, and LiPuma JJ*. (2015) The daily dynamics of cystic fibrosis airway microbiota during clinical stability and at exacerbation. Microbiome, 3:12.
- Chang C, Zhu H, Shen N, Chen Y, He B, Zhao J* and Yao W*. (2015) Bacterial infection, airway and systemic inflammation and clinical outcomes before and after treatment of AECOPD, a longitudinal and cross-sectional study. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 12:19-30.
- Zhao J, Murray S, and LiPuma JJ*. (2014) Modeling the effect of antibiotic exposure on human microbiota. Scientific Reports, 4:4345.
- Zhao J, Elborn JS, and LiPuma JJ*. (2014) Chapter 3: Airway infection and the microbiome. European Respiratory Monograph, 64: 32-46.
- Chang C, Guo Z, Shen N, He B, Yao W, Zhu H*, and Zhao J*. (2014) Dynamics of inflammation resolution and symptom recovery during AECOPD treatment. Scientific Reports, 4: 5516.
- Kong F#, Zhao J#, Han S, Zeng B, Yang J, Si X, Yang B, Yang M, Xu H and Li Y*. (2014) Characterization of the gut microbiota in the red panda (Ailurus fulgens). PLoS ONE, 9(2): e87885.
- Carmody LA#, Zhao, J#, Schloss PD, Petrosino JF, Murray S, Young VB, Li JZ and LiPuma JJ*.(2013) Changes in cystic fibrosis airway microbiota at pulmonary exacerbation. Annals of the American Thoracic Society, 10: 179-187.
- Zhao J, Schloss PD, Kalikin LM, Carmody LA, Foster BK, Petrosino JF, Cavalcoli JD, VanDevanter DR, Murray S, Li JZ, Young VB and LiPuma JJ*. (2012) Decade-long bacterial community dynamics in cystic fibrosis airways. PNAS, 109: 5809-5814.
- Zhao J, Carmody LA, Kalikin LM, Li J, Petrosino JF, Schloss PD, Young VB, and LiPuma JJ*. (2012) Impact of enhanced Staphylococcus DNA extraction on microbial community measures in cystic fibrosis sputum. PLoS ONE, 7(3): e33127
- Hickey WJ*, Chen S, and Zhao J. (2012) The phn island: a new genomic island encoding catabolism of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons. Front in Microbiol, 3: Article 125.
- Zhao J, Li J, Schloss PD, KalikinLM, Raymond TA, Petrosino JF, Young VB and LiPuma JJ*. (2011) Effect of sample storage conditions on culture-independent bacterial community measures in cystic fibrosis sputum specimens. J of Clin Microbiol, 49: 3717-3718.